In Mint my desktop theme settings occasionally revert to the default theme on booting. (The keyboard sound-player controls cease to function at the same time, otherwise I probably wouldn't notice it.) The quickest solution I found was to put a link to the Appearance control in the panel. Just clicking on this and bringing up the Appearance dialog fixes the problem -- I don't even have to select a theme. This might do the trick.

But it hasn't happened to me for a while -- something to do with switching to Banshee from Rhythmbox?

Jon.