On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Adrian Chadd <adr...@creative.net.au> wrote:
> The horrible, O(n) way is to just to loop over 0 .. n, see if it doesn't
> exist, if it doesn't then create and use it.
>
> It's slow, it's racy (ie, don't run the script without locking :-) but
> it's a traditional UNIX way of doing things.

Think I'll avoid that on principle. Providing a minor # at all seems
strange to me. Like Linux should do it. Why do I want or need to know
about these MINOR #s anyway?! All I want is an lo dev; far away from
this cold nightmare (with apologies to Frederick Loewe).

At least losetup is an ELF exe, so if it does the anything similar it
should be a little quicker, non-racy, and debugged than my own shell
script, notwithstanding statically pre-allocated dev nodes. One can
hope :)

ta
zen