If you're running an e-commerce site, the last thing you want to do is
inadvertently prevent legitimate customers from using it.  You could set up
an IDS to alert you and possibly configure it to auto-block offending source
address', but in my experience persistent attacks tend to come from only a
couple of countries, which I have consequently blocked with iptables using
lists generated from sites like this -> http://www.countryipblocks.net/  but
it can become unwieldy if you do it for more than a couple of countries.

Darrin.