On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+s...@mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> So, my question is, can a printer that only requires a PPD file
> give me feedback like presence, paper status etc or do I need
> to write a CUPS backend driver to get those features.

I've used a HP T522.ppd USB printer (portable, battery plugs in) a
fair bit but not for over a year right at this point. From memory it
told me ink levels and only required a t522.ppd. Don't have printer
with me for a month, and can't find any screen suggesting printer
current status. Been a little while sorry...

Zen