On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 17:42 +1100, Tony "H.G" Candito wrote:
> OK, so now that we've learn't what isn't safe. What is?

I've had ASUS laptops the last few goes. They've been surprisingly
tolerable. The one I've got now is a "UL20A". I'm rather pleased with
it. Low voltage chip and Intel graphics. Yeay.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/asus-ul20a-review.html
http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=pS8jNzTab4WZZGjY

The bigger learning was discovering that some bright sparks have set up
mailing lists for laptop families running (in this case) Canonical's
Ubuntu Linux. Mine is:
https://launchpad.net/~asus-ul30

There appear to be similar "teams" for other laptop families, so in
aggregate, these might be a good source of information as to current
laptop support across the spectrum.

AfC
Barcelona

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London