So, once again, do I just copy the new ``libflashplayer.so'' to the
plugin site in mozilla, change the permissions to root, and 0755, or
am I missing out something?  Will I wreck my browser's flashplay
ability or something equally unthinkable?

Hi,
Yes just replace the libflashplayer.so with the new version. You should not
need to change permissions. On newer versions of Firefox you can put in folder
/home/username/.mozilla/plugins (create plugins folder if it does not exist)
and it will work once you restart Firefox.
Brett.