On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:45:29 +1100
wbenn...@turing.une.edu.au wrote:

> If I have an application that I wish to install --- a crossword compiler
> in this case and I have the download on the desktop --- it's a .tgz file
> --- is there an apt-get command 9or variation) that will install it?

A little off-topic, but since three others have answered the question
directly I see no harm in a slight deviation -- the use of apt-get for
software installation/upgrades is deprecated. aptitude has numerous
advantages, including more advanced dependency handling and a
curses-based interactive interface, and is generally considered (by
Debian at least) to have replaced apt-get for everything except
downloading source code.

Ubuntu 10.10 has, highly frustratingly, removed aptitude from the
installation CD, so if you're on a clean install of Maverick you need
to do apt-get install aptitude before using it.