david <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:

> I have an Ubuntu box running which I would like to be able to clone into a
> virtualbox VM.  I don't want to shut the hardware down, or play with it too
> much because it's a live server.
>
> Is it possible to use MondoRescue or some other software to clone the server
> hard drive, preferably without shutting it down, and then create a virtual
> machine from the resulting image?

Not robustly, for cloning the raw disk, because you will end up with a really
messed up file system.  If you could stop file system access for a few hours
it would work, but that has ... probably the same issue. :)

What you *could* do is boot a LiveCD in the VM, and use rsync or something to
clone the files into the new machine.  Then, you can keep the block level
consistent and only risk file level oddities, which are much less nasty.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707