On Mon, Dec 20, 2010, Simon Males wrote:

> I feel like I'm am stepping close to the territory of building my own
> packages.

You are. There's likely some "post-install" script being run. :-)

I suggest looking at what it'd take to make the memcached startup/shutdown
script take a -list- of memcached instances to restart, then restart those.
That way you can hand that up to the package maintainer so they can include
it in a future update.

That said, I wonder if there's a way you could create a "fake" package that
just has your restart script, but somehow signifies it relies on the memcached
package. Sort of like how library version upgrades signal restarts of daemons.
So when you upgrade the memcached package, everything "relying" on it somehow
is also reconfigured/restarted? Or is that a dirty hack done in the libc
package itself?

Adrian