libvirt is a library, but libvirtd will manage kvm's for you

you just make xml (ew but oh well) configs for the vm, and use virsh to fire them up

in terms of configuring network interfaces, you just set up a bridge interface (brXX) and bond it to eth0, then in the vm configurations you just specify the brXX interface. optionally you can set up network "profiles" and abstract that details and reference it

libvirt.org covers it all

you dont need newer hardware, but with kvm its always best to get the latest kernels and libvirt

Dean