which model is it? this will dictate 3.6
or 7.2 meg max (dual frequency)

huawei modems typical appear as two usb serial devices. the first for data, the
second provides a control plane of sorts. both use a classic hayes 'AT' like
command set, and ppp is used to create an ip connection with the modem.

network-manager since about 18 months ago was perfectly able to fully configure
and manage usb 3g devices from huawei.

google will show you many chat scripts for various ppp helpers if
network-manager is not your ice cream flavor.

huawei have been very good at keeping a consistent command set so scripts for
other huaei models will almost certainly work perfectly if your kernel
recognises the device properly.

ive found huawei support in linux to be excellent, mostly as a result of using
a simple interfacing technique and being consistent.

Dean