On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Nick Andrew <n...@nick-andrew.net> wrote:

> > then the network goes, and it all breaks and users complain.
>
> It doesn't sound like a software problem.

In a sense you are right. But the subtlety of who's fault it is never goes
the person who kicked the wire out, just the IT department as a whole.

> > Now I want to move the rendering of text files to a Linux server (some
> > stable ones
> > exist here) and hoping to do the same in Linux.
>
> Would it be possible to run the DOS software in a virtual machine under
> linux?

dBaseIV works amazingly well under DOSBox - but they don't want to use it.

That's not the problem. The problem is that it's getting hard to find Laser
printers
that print ascii data streams. Recent HP printers no longer work with
character
streams. So we have to intercept the print stream and "render" to graphics.
Including
all the character escapes that make things bigger and bold and so forth.
That part is
all working fine with the Windows GDI.

It seems what I need to do is make a postscript rendering engine for it to
work
under Linux. Which looks possible, but I'm open to other ideas.

David