On Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:00:02 AM slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:

> Every new Mac comes with a fully licensed copy of OSX.  If you can get it
> to boot on a Commodore 64, you're still complying with the license :)

Very unlikely. You would need to look at the licence terms to see what it
allows - you cannot just do whatever you like with software just because you
got a licenced copy. Even copying bits of the operating system onto the 5.25"
floppy or the audio cassette, so you could load it onto the C64, would very
likely be outside the licence.

On Thursday 02 June 2011 13:49:21 Jam wrote:

> Actually the fine print gets you: "bla bla only on mac branded hardware bla
> bla"

Well there you go, Mac hardware only.

> leading the hackintosh community to ponder if you manage to purchase a
> version of OS-X and if you stick the white ears in the packaging on your
> hardware ... untested in court :-)

That would be a decidedly unhappy way to test such things. To begin with, it
is only Mac branded if the label was affixed to identify the equipment as
originating from the trademark owner. Clearly an end user would not be
sticking the white ears on for that purpose. Additionally it would take a
court about a microsecond to read in the implication that it was only
*genuine* Mac branded hardware that was covered.

The position is very likely different in the United States.

Regards,
Troy Rollo
Solicitor
Parry Carroll
Commercial Lawyers
Direct: (02) 8257 3177
Fax: (02) 9221 1375
Switch: (02) 9221 3899
E-mail: t...@parrycarroll.com.au
Web: www.parrycarroll.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
Legislation

This message and any attachments are confidential to Parry Carroll. If you
have received it my mistake, please let us know by reply and then delete it
from your system. You must not copy the message, alter it or disclose its
contents to anyone. Thank you.