Thanks to Miloska, Ben and Grant for replies.

Sound problem has "solved" itself after yesterday AM installation of latest updates.

Problem with Touchpad:-

First I edited /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf and /10-evdev.conf

removing all refs to touchpad. Made no difference.

Further Googling provided info that MSI uses touchpad that is not compatible with Synaptic.

MSI touchpad is a Sentelic touchpad, and apparently although "driver" is in kernel since Ubuntu 10.4 ( I think)

 problem is that system sees it as USB device.
---------------

 from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1502560

[quote]> these Sentelic touchpads are wrongly recognized as a PS/2 Mouse. (See eg the FSPPS/2 Sentelic

FingerSensingPad listing in gconf-editor, or use the GPointing mouse and touchpad configuration application).

These Sentelic touchpads are also not listed as a tab in System > Preferences > Mouse.

As a consequence, these Sentelic touchpads cannot be configured. This includes, for example,

the absense of elementary options regarding touchpad sensitivity (Sentelic touchpads are by

default hyper-sensitive, leading to many input errors), tap-to-click, de-activate while typing,

horizontal and vertical scroll, etc.

[/quote]

enabling/disabling touchpad by commands such as:-

gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled true

changed to "false" - rebooted - still work

doesnt work as its not seen as a touchpad but as a mouse.

As I want to permanently disable the touchpad, it would appear that I need to run a script of some sort on boot to have the system "ignore" the USB "mouse" - but not the real mouse.

There are many scripts on the various forums, but they are all specific, ie turn off touchpad when start typing etc.

Will keep trying.

PS. My laptop, being a new "fast Boot" has practically Nil options in the BIOS - doesnt even have option to boot from USB

Bill