Great question KL.

As I'm sure you're already away, any form of protection of one's children and teenagers requires a combination of approaches.

Child protection research says the same thing - there is no *one* answer. It requires a number of elements to be implemented.

Conroy's general filter was to protect adults from themselves as much as to protect children, which in effect was to say that adults should be treated as children - the very reason I didn't agree with it. It was an 'all in' approach which I think we all agree wouldn't work.

I would argue that protecting children in the manner you asked requires a multi-layered approach and there is nothing to say that filters, passwords etc, are pointless in this context. They are not the *only* element, but I don't recall you saying that anyway.

As has been pointed out by others, you need to be aware of the possible consequences when using any approach. In this case, filtering. You also need to be aware, as has also been pointed out, that your children may have the skill, now or in the future, to bypass the 'protection' you implement. When this occurs I'd suggest you need to plan for what you think is the most effective response to avoid a knee-jerk reaction.

In my case I have machines for my children which can be easily seen *and* they have basic filtering *and* I speak to them about what I want them to focus on. I also explain to them about my concerns if they do 'wander' somewhere.

Their e-mail is all filtered to my address (incoming/outgoing). I only read it if it's to/from someone I don't know. When they're older I'll stop doing this.

I also sometimes have to 'unblock' sites <shrug> which is no big deal. My children know to ask and that they won't be in trouble if it's something I don't want them to see.

I would also argue that the mechanisms one uses need to change as the children become older, more skilled, more curious and as they push boundaries more.

From our perspective we tend to focus on parental responsibilities (I've always argued against the notion of 'rights' for parents).

Consequently, none of this is perfect but it's the best we've come up with that fits with our view of our responsibilities as parents.

Regards,
Patrick