On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 02:30:41PM +1000, John Clarke wrote:

> I'm trying to so the same thing right now, and I've got *almost*
> everything working.  Now when I try to boot from the new drive, I see
> some error messages flash by during boot (they're not logged to syslog
> and don't appear when I run dmesg) saying that it can't write to
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile because it's a read-only filesystem.
>
> This is happening because the tmpfs that's normally mounted there isn't
> being mounted, and I have no idea why.  I don't know where this mount is
> supposed to be done and I'm not having any success finding anything
> useful via Google, and without knowing where it's done I have no idea
> how to fix it.

I've found it.  It's mounted by /sbin/lrm-manager (called from
/etc/rcS.d/S07linux-restricted-modules-common), but only if
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/.mounted doesn't exist.  The file does
exist because I copied it from the running system.  I did look through
this script earlier but missed it.  I can't do any more testing tonight
though, so it'll have to wait until the morning.

John

--
This is yet another mission for ed.  Its simplicity and elegance is well
suited to the needs of the novice, and when he's ready for vi he will see