On 25 July 2011 17:23, Sonia Hamilton <so...@snowfrog.net> wrote:
> * Jake Anderson <ya...@vapourforge.com> [2011-07-23 22:35:30 +1000]:
>
>> +1 for ddrescue
>> works well.
>>
>> On 07/23/2011 07:15 AM, Amos Shapira wrote:
>> >You should use ddrescue (I use the gnu ddrescue) which will skip bad blocks.
>> >On Jul 22, 2011 10:14 PM, "Simon Males"<s...@sime.net.au>  wrote:
>
> I've found that myrescue is better than ddrescue, especially with
> corrupted devices. It has options for exponential backoff of corrupted
> sections, retries, etc
>
> sudo aptitude install myrescue

Are you sure you are comparing to the GNU version of ddrescue? Be
aware that there is a confusing none-GNU ddrescue which might be a bit
simplistic. "exponential backoff" etc sound like the features of GNU
ddrescue I used to help a friend in need. (together with following
advise from SLUG to put the disk in the fridge every now and then to
help it stay up for longer, it was at the top of the summer hit too).

--Amos