On 27/09/2011, at 10:00 AM, slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:

> * James Linder <j...@tigger.ws> [2011-09-25 10:44:47 +0800]:
>> my words will generate hows of anguish from the slug-cognoscii, but
>> your questions show that you are a new user so... , this is what I'd
>> do:
>> ..
>> Never turn on automatic updates. What for? They all too often break
>> things, despite the hype don't do anything for you.
>
> <cough> if you going to take this path, at least install security
> patches. For example in Ubuntu, "Install Security Updates without
> Confirmation".

One does not naively say stupid words :-) so this is why I say them:

I recon if I had $1 for every time I've read 'I updated/installed updates ....

The most likely scenario here is a machine on a private network behind a router
Now if you're savy enough to enable some services through your router to your
machine then you are savy enough to take care.

If you've not forwarded any services, then the outside world can't reach your
machine. It is not there.

I would guess that most of our wives/partners/housemates are not going to hack
our machines

That leaves established/related back into the machine.
A very small risk for a great deal of heartache.

My own experience is over 100 un-updated-server-years with never an incident
One server in the Phillipines is regularly hacked every year or 2, but lots of
staff know root passwd !!

For your machine, at home, behind a router, by all means play, but don't think
no-updates means hacked my morning

James--