On 16/12/2011, at 9:00 AM, slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM, James Linder <j...@tigger.ws> wrote:
>> When an elderly and distinguished scientist say something is not possible he
>> is nearly always wrong <smile>
>
> I know I could buy more memory or get multicores.. involves money and time..
>
> The memory footprint of ubuntu 11 is obviously too much for the hardware I
> have
> and I'm not claiming anything else.
>
>> I found Puppy to be kewl, but a bit off the beaten track. I used it for
>> small embedded stuff, and much as I'm not a fan of the whole ubuntu paradgsm
>> it does work and there is lots of expertise if you need it.
>>
>> Still if puppy works for you then use it :-)
>
> Embedded is what I'm working on.. so the speed advantage is what I need.

Just to harp on for a moment
U11 does not have any significant memory issues, gnome and the GUI do.
Ditch those and you are good to go.
U makes it easy to do and to manage.

And to harp yet more ... embedded and speed have nothing to do with each other,
you can have any combination that you choose.
Both U and Knoppix running from ramdisk are really slick n quick

If you are playing with ARM, I am finding the gumstix overo to be rather neat.
http://gumstix.com

James--