I owned an IPhone for a number of years and recently got a android galaxy II.

First comment is that they are all slippery suckers. 16 year old has destroyed a number of phones just by dropping them out of his pockets. Deep pockets are a must (that is literal). Look after them and don't drop them. I drowned one and apple replaced it for a reasonably cheap fee ($250 at the genius bar) a definite plus.

The iPhone has some great features however over a period of time the software burdens your phone and it simply stops working because it is overloaded. Call pick up does not work at times (iPhone 4 the same)

When I bought the iPhone I thought laptop tethering would save me a 3g modem, I unfortunately went with Optus who charge to allow access, I have since moved to Virgin that does not. So read your plan. also look at the chunks they charge in, virgin charges in small increments, others charge for a large chunk even though you use a small one.

It is definite that Telstra has the best coverage, Optus (hence a few others like virgin) are OK and Vodafone is the worst. For example Heathcote to the city on the train with Optus internet does not work about 50% of the time, especially around Oatley station. So make sure you have good 3g coverage at work and at home.

Wifi is essential, my iPhone 3gs just stopped connecting, heard the same problem from a number of other people as well. Upgrading apps on Wifi and searching is so quick.

I also decided the camera was important, your needs may vary but I never have the camera when I need it. Flash and a good pixel size is important, 8+ depending on what you want.

Screen, the larger the better the galaxy SII is huge, so you better have big pockets. The screen is crisp but battery is terrible. I installed a juice defender and it is now far better. I find the screen on the galaxy better than the iPhone. Read a document with small text to compare.

Android negatives.

Calling seems more cumbersome than the iPhone. Android favourite is a name you then have to pick a phone number, IPhone is a number that just dials.

You seem to be left alone a bit when you are setting up your phone, iPhone seems to be better documented / easier. For example how do you get spell correct to work?

Samsung KIA did not install on Windows XP, worked on Windows 7. So the setup utilities are not as good. ITunes is much easier to drive than KIA. Notice that most people hate KIA, not surprised.

email is not as friendly. Changing password on exchange account is not automatic like it should be. Reading the internet other mail clients are better, not bothered yet. Mail purges off when you pull all your mail on your desktop, so it is harder to keep those notes for later.

Still have not figured out cut and paste.

Overall I am very happy to have switched and I love the big screen and can put up with the bad battery life.

Ken

-----Original Message----- From: Rod Butcher