Dear All,

First, on behalf of the committee I would like to thank everyone for their participation, involvement and assistance during 2011 both at meetings and on the mailing list. It's a bit clichéd (cliché 1) but without everyone's assistance we'd not have a LUG. After attending LCA 2012, I was struck by the struggles some LUGs experience in maintaining their presence and while there's always room to improve (cliché 2) we're doing not too badly.

Naturally the hardest part is people finding time (cliché 3) to participate in face-to-face events. The committee is hoping that we're able to expand the LUGs activities to create a greater range of events to encourage this to happen (cliché 4) and ensure LUG members to generally feel there's something for them (clichés 5-10).

While I will be summarising the following at the February meeting, for those cannot make it I've provided a quick look forward to a possible 2012 and beyond.

If you have things you'd like to add, then please e-mail me directly so I can update the list and then make it available to everyone.

NB. Please remember that this is more of a 'focus group' e-mail. For those unfamiliar with the process, it means that any ideas or suggestions can be made.

It's not an opportunity to criticise or negatively comment on suggestions made by others which you don't like.

However, if there is a suggestion on the list and you believe you know of an easier solution, form of implementation etc, then please feel free to provide details.

So, on to 2012.

SECTION ONE

EVENTS FOR THE FUTURE

We are building up a list of events for 2012 (and beyond) for which we will need volunteers and other assistance. Please let us know if you have any ideas along this line.

a. Install-Fest
Speaks for itself really

It has been suggested this could be combined with
b. Software/Application-use day

We'd have people giving hands-on demonstrations of various applications/software etc on a GNU/Linux platform. It was suggested that installing has become so easy that it may not be as 'big an issue' as in previous years.

Regardless of views on this, it was suggested that it may be more productive to have a day during which people can learn to use the OS and applications rather than just how to install it.

c. Regular SLUG/FOSS presence at the North Rocks computer market (or similar) This was suggested as a means by which to promote the use of GNU/Linux in the general computing community. By having a regular presence people will have the ability to approach SLUG members, discuss FOSS related issues and become familiar with the subject.

This would be similar to out-reach programs run by social services agencies (eg. health, youth services). These programs have been shown to have a positive effect on encouraging use and interest and will (I believe) work for SLUG and FOSS.

d. Software Freedom Day.
It has been some times since SLUG was present on SFD.
If we can generate enough interest in working towards a SLUG presence, this will be used to develop a larger presence in 2013.

e. There has also been discussion about whether we should include Android related material in presentations.

I'll send a query to the list about this asking for people's views in general.

SECTION TWO

There were some fantastic suggestions and they're listed below. If you have any ideas or areas of interest you'd like to hear presentations on, then please let me and/or the list know.

Naturally we'll also be looking for people who would be willing to volunteer to speak on some of these subjects :)

As usual the committee is more than willing to help you in preparing and organising your presentation (eg. format suggestions, assistance with presenting).

If you have an interest in an area, please don't assume other people have already put up their hand to speak about it. If we don't have people volunteering their time and effort then we will not be able to cover the areas of interest expressed.

If it suits best, we can arrange for you speak over a period of time (a collection of short talks about a subject) or even have a regular lightning talk spot.

Again, if you're interested, please either contact a committee member directly or catch up with us at a SLUG meeting.

SLUG MEETING IDEAS

Tim Ansell has suggested a regular monthly meeting, separate from the SLUG Friday meetings. These would be on a weekend and would incorporate activities such as coding, editing (graphic, video) etc.

A 'fix-it' day has also been suggested. This would be where people can bring intransigent and truculent hardware to receive assistance in taming it.

Social meetings. This has been raised previously and so I'm adding this in again. The idea was that members would announce a place and time for SLUG members to get together outside of the group Friday meetings.

There has been a suggestion for some meetings to be held in Western Sydney (or other parts of Sydney).

A section covering hardware giveaways/swapping/selling/bartering has also been suggested.

A section on 'news' has been suggested.

A 'something cool I came across' segment has been raised. I would suggest that this comes under the current lightning talks. However we could make this more explicit.

STRUCTURAL ISSUES

Development of links to Ultimo TAFE

Cross promotion with other LUGs.

Regarding cross-promotion, during LCA 2012 I commenced discussions with members of some other LUGS, suggesting they give talks via video at our meeting (and vice versa) and to check the possibility of (social) meetings or something similar.

SUGGESTIONS FOR PRESENTATIONS:

Terminology/abbreviations used in GNU/Linux FOSS

Usage solutions

Hardware driver issue discussions

Video editing/mixing

Vimeo

Explanations of video codecs vs containers

Mobile devices

BSD!

The NBN

Building Linux boxes

RepRap

ACS - SIGS

SAGE  - ALUG

Unity - GNOME3: The GUI Wars

SWAP hardware/books/ needed section

Monthly focus

Agenda items on a notice board or website - need to change website

Q+A

Agenda evolving

Developing with Linux: 'How to' talks and presentations eg. downloading, compiling, error resolution

Robotics

Embedded Linux

Open Hardware

Showcasing projects

Android development

CAD and Linux

Source control management - git, bzr, etc

Distros discussion - LFS, Gentoo, Puppy, Ubuntu etc

Puppet development

Linux on older machines, small embedded/mobile

Lightweight distros

Tizen/Meego

CAD

SSH

The Open Disc

Wubi/Colinux/Lin4Win

Fundamentals
- iptables
- netstat
- etc

Bandwidth monitoring
- cacti
-Nagios
Zabbinx

PGP
- key signing
- as applied to e-mail
- signing vs encryption
- system packages

Repositories for packages
- Debs, RPMs
- how to add packages to a repo
- making your own repos
- PPAs

More technical talks

How to find new ideas to contribute to projects

Short, targeted talks on new technologies

People discussing the different 'things they do' with Linux

Software development in Linux

Linux sys admin tips and tricks

More Python talks

Mindstorm - Lego