Simple approach is to add youtube.com into the hosts file at 8:00 at night and remove it at 9:00am not shaping but easy to do.

I have also implemented squid and this has some real shaping potential. Slowing him down on youtube will reduce his consumption.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Donovan
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 2:29 PM
To: slug@slug.org.au
Subject: [SLUG] Traffic control

Recently my ISP discontinued the ADSL plan I was on and put me on another plan with three times the bandwidth. This is fine however one of the kids likes watching YouTube and can now chew up a month's data in a few days.

I have warned him. I can let him do it and see how he feels about dropping back to dial-up speed but the whole family will suffer with him.

Or can I slow down his machine's consumption? One way of doing this might be to run tc(2) on his machine however the doco hasn't been updated since 2.4 and doesn't seem to make much sense. Has anyone experience of doing policing with tc(2), iptables(8) or anything else? Or could I alter said son's machine's routing to use as gateway another machine running something to slow data down.

Any suggestions, please?

Jim Donovan

P.S. Not relevant to my problem however you sometimes see plans in which you can burn a month's data in a few minutes. Why do people sign up for trash like that?