OK, this is weird. I did as you suggested (thanks, Peter), and the mouse-related output in the log looked reasonably similar to the touchpad output- and whilst I was comparing the two, the touchpad started to work! So I unplugged the mouse and rebooted, and after logging in, the touchpad didn't work - for about three minutes, and then it was OK again. So there's some weird delay going on.

Edwin