pe...@chubb.wattle.id.au wrote:
"Marghanita" == Marghanita da Cruz <marghan...@ramin.com.au> writes:

Marghanita> Has anyone done any work/know of any research on the
Marghanita> effect of Tuning ICT systems and direct energy
Marghanita> use/indirect energy use (heat generation/airconditioning)?

There's been a LOT of work in this area.  A recentish paper was Joukov
and Sipek `GreenFS: Making Enterprise Computers Greener by Protecting
them Better' (Eurosys '08 pp 69--80)

<snip>

Thanks ....found the Abstract:
Hard disks contain data - frequently an irreplaceable asset of high monetary
and non-monetary value. At the same time, hard disks are mechanical devices
that consume power, are noisy, and fragile when their platters are rotating.

In this paper we demonstrate that hard disks cause different kinds of problems
for different types of computer systems and demystify several common
misconceptions. We show that solutions developed to date are incapable of
solving the power consumption, noise, and data reliability problems without
sacrificing hard disk life-time, data reliability, or user convenience.

We considered data reliability, recovery, performance, user convenience, and
hard disk-caused problems together at the enterprise scale. We have designed
GreenFS: a fan-out stackable file system that offers all-time all-data run-time
data protection, improves performance under typical user workloads, and allows
hard disks to be kept off most of the time. As a result, GreenFS improves
enterprise data protection, minimizes disk drive-related power consumption and
noise and increases the chances of disk drive survivability in case of
unexpected external impacts.
<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1352600&dl=ACM&coll=DL&CFID=177291982&CFTOKEN=55764224>

and Full paper at: http://lists.am-utils.org/docs/greenfs/greenfs-eurosys08.pdf

Marghanita