On Mon, February 4, 2013 7:47 pm, Lee Isaacson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I hope that someone on this list has had the same problems I am having
> and knows what the work around is.
>
> I am am having a weird problem and I have tried a lot of distros and
> would like your help.
>
> I am using a Creative Audigy 2 Value Sound Card with a 5.1 analogue
> setup and an analogue microphone.

Which chip/driver is it?

cat /proc/asound/cards

> Preferably I would like to use Ubuntu as my distro as they have a
> large repository.

Every distro has a large repo.

Pulse audio is funded in part by redhat so you will generally get better
performance from a fedora system if you are having issues with ubuntu or
debian. Arch linux also has pretty decent support for pulse audio too.

If you cannot resolve the issue with a new fedora then you should
definitely contact the pulse audio mailing list and let them know that you
have found a bug or are having usability issues with your card. They are
pretty quick to respond over there.

> When using Ubuntu and I disable Pulse Audio my microphone works and I
> install all the extra files to play back cd's etc but when I play it
> back no sound comes out.

You shouldn't need to disable pulse audio at all unless you are running a
distro from over 5 years ago.

> If I enable pulse audio it will only work using two speakers.
>
> If I try enable pulse audio on 5 speakers and doing the test I get
> jerky sound and I tried googling and testing and working inf files
> changing things in the pulse files but that does not help.
>
> When using Mageia version 2 I disable Pulse Audio and my sound works
> fine but only with the k music player. If I use Rythmbox no sound
> comes out at all.
>
> To me it looks like the later Distros require pulse audio to play back
> stuff.

Pulse audio is integrated into gnome so if you want to use gnome desktop
you need pulse audio.

> Is there a way to get my sound card working correctly with Pulse Audio
> installed.

Out of interest have you also tried using JACK just for comparison and
testing purposes?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd