That's a joy of Linux, stuff gets screwed up for no obvious reason.

I'm really peaved now that my Terminology terminal stopped working showing
similar
symptons after I changed a config setting, now it won't let me get back to
the same menu
to change it to something else.

I'd suggest fresh reinstall. That's what I'm about to do. It just may be
quicker especially
if you do it from a USB stick.

I'd also try a different distro, like one of the ones people claim to be
good: "Arch" "Mint"
"Bodhi" "MacPup" etc just to learn something different.