On 6/11/2013 17:01, Jiří Baum wrote:
Can anyone tell me what it means when I get the error message "Bogus
PPPoE length field (1502)" a few hundred times a day, usually in
bunches? Always the same number, 1502, never any other.

Have you tried negotiating a differently sized MTU to see if it changes the length field displayed in the error message?

Also, it is possible that TPG support RFC 4638, [0] and your PPPoE implementation doesn't understand that.

On a side note, while we're on the topic of MTUs -- changing the MTU rarely has any effect. I recommend that you fix the MSS value on your router, so your LAN clients don't hit the MTU limit.

Something like this out to do the trick:

  # iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN \
      -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

I'd be interested to see a full packet capture of the PPPoE negotiation while it generates that error.

--
[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4638