---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Bennett <wrbennet...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Subject: Request for advice on installation.

I've got this thumbdrive.
It seems to me that I should be able to

Download the latest Ubuntu straight to the thumb drive

Check the BIOS of my laptop to ensure that it boots from the thumb drive

Put the thumb drive into the USB port

Boot up the laptop.

WEll, there's a lot of things that seem to me that turn out not to be so.
To continue.
The thumb drive is one that I have been given with the version of Ubuntu
I’m currently using. And nothing else.So:

Question 1: If I download the latest Ubuntu to the thumb drive, will it
override ie., replace, the version already there, or will it sit next to
this version (assuming there’s room)? If it’s going to do this, it seems to
me that I’d better delete the extant version and start with an empty thumb
drive.

Question 2: the BIOS. The fact that it’s booting from a USB port, rather
than a CD  cuts no ice, does it?

Question 3: the installation. Providing the laptop boots from the thumb
drive, it should proceed as per a CD installation, shouldn’t it: the old
version of Ubuntu should be replaced with the new?
Any advice on the matter will be gratefully received.

Regards,

 William Bennett,