David wrote:
On 22/05/14 08:38, Rick Welykochy wrote:
Edwin Humphries (text) wrote:
Can anyone suggest a way of testing the download speed of my NBN fibre connection every hour and logging it? I have an ostensibly 100Mbps connection, but the speed seems to vary enormously, so an automated process would be good.

Download a file of known length, say 1000 MB, from a server
whose speed you can trust every hour. Time and log each download.
Also verify the contents of the downloaded file with an md5 or sha
digest.

This can be automated with an scp inside a simple (shell) script.

Westnet used to have a file available for exactly this purpose - I dare say
other ISP's do too. Perhaps you could ask your own ISP.
This looks promising:

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/

I found this via a web search for "test download file residing on an isp
australia".

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it works, we've
already failed.
    -- Peter Lee, Disney Executive