It's Raspbian for the distro on the Raspberry-Pi

The problem is that supervisor is a python Distro package and it's wired
really deeply into the bowels of the system. It's initialisation takes
place way before any of the shell or rc.local startup.

I sorted it out in the end, the command needed was "dpkg-reconfigure
tzdata" and that did something internally that made it work.