After my talk on Friday a few people were discussing how 32 bit code can
actually run slower on 64 bit uProcessors.
(compared to a 32 bit uProcessor)

We discussed this is true but thankfully the linux community is working
on this problem with the x32 ABI (Application Binary Interface):

https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/12/24/2025228/linux-x32-abi-not-catching-wind

The speed gains appear only slight and it does create a few overheads,
well... and a new ABI to look after. << remember this coming from me, a
guy that is experimental with "CFLAGS" (compile flags) for just a few %

Speaking of "CFLAGS" , another person asked me what I was running for
them on my Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M Laptop? :

CFLAGS="-march=corei7 -ftree-vectorize -funroll-all-loops
-fprefetch-loop-arrays --param prefetch-latency=300 -O3 -fno-tree-pre
-minline-all-stringops -pipe -mtune=corei7"

(don't try these at home kids! Use them on the biggest mainframe you can
find!)

Oddly I am finding faster performance switching the AVX functions off
with -march=corei7, they are supposedly enabled in my kernel:

[    0.724241] sha1_ssse3: Using AVX optimized SHA-1 implementation
[    0.724303] sha256_ssse3: Using AVX optimized SHA-256 implementation
[    0.724364] sha512_ssse3: Using AVX optimized SHA-512 implementation

..and test programs such as "nbench" are being compiled with 493 AVX
instructions used when -march=corei7-avx or -march=core-avx-i is being
used .

Perhaps we need some sort of avx64 ABI to improve 128,256 and 512 bit
AVX performance in later uProc's?....doh.... let's just nest the ABI's

Brett