Hi,

i wonder if anyone has expertise in tiled windowing environments like i3 or
qtile?

I want to automate the concurrent display of a limited number of
mixed-format files in a folder - pngs, pdfs, csvs etc..  I started out with
the idea that writing a bash script would be easy - count the files, open a
suitable tiled window pattern e.g. 2 * 2, 1 + 2 * 2, 3 * 2 and open each
file in turn in its window (with xdg-open or similar).  The host will not
have a keyboard or mouse.  The display will update now and then, in case
any files have arrived, dropped or changed.

However, the documentation with tiled windows managers focuses on
user-experience stuff like tacking on status bars and key binding.

I have not found useful documentation or user groups.

Possibly the job could be done in php, with the browser "full screened".
This may narrow the flexibility of file type.

Any clues, or semi-commercial interest?

Thanks,

Kevin.