Ah! I just fixed this issue. I was perusing through the slurm.conf man page and noticed this:

   If your system is configured with more than one thread per core,
   execution of a different job on each thread is not supported unless
   you configure SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU plus CPUs; do not
   configure Sockets, CoresPerSocket or ThreadsPerCore... Note also if
   you are running with more than 1 thread per core and running the
   select/cons_res plugin you will want to set the SelectTypeParameters
   variable to something other than CR_CPU to avoid unexpected results.

I had thought myself clever for using Sockets, Cores, Threads to calculate CPUs, but this was definitely an unexpected result when used with select/cons_res. Converting my nodes to CPUs=x in slurm.conf made everything work as I was expecting.

Hope that helps someone,

Alan