2013/6/19 Paul Edmon <ped...@cfa.harvard.edu>:

> I have a group here that wants to submit a ton of jobs to the queue, but
> want to restrict how many they have running at any given time so that
> they don't torch their fileserver.  They were using bgmod -L in LSF to
> do this, but they were wondering if there was a similar way in SLURM to
> do so.  I know you can do this via the accounting interface but it would
> be good if I didn't have to apply it as a blanket to all their jobs and
> if they could manage it themselves.
>
> If nothing exists in SLURM to do this that's fine.  One can always
> engineer around it.  I figured I would ping the dev list first before
> putting a nail in it.  From my look at the documentation I don't see
> anyway to do this other than what I stated above.

I'm not familiar with LSF, but.. if you are using accounts (need
database accounting backend) you can simply create account for them,
and limit number of running jobs with:

"GrpJobs= The total number of jobs able to run at any given time from
this association and its children. If this limit is reached new jobs
will be queued but only allowed to run after previous jobs complete
from this group. "

Another possibility may be, if users want to set the limit himself, is
to create allocation and then submit jobs to this allocation.

cheers,
marcin