Be sure to test it first before trying anything else: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18661976/reading-dev-cpu-msr-from-userspace-operation-not-permitted. We ran into this issue once when we had a "trusted" person and we couldn't easily grant him access to the MSRs. We couldn't find a good solution. You could add the caps to a copy of the rdmsr binary and make that file only usable by your trusted user...

Assuming you have an old enough kernel, I would just add the user to the group that MSR files are owned by (and change settings so the relevant /dev files are owned by a different group than root).

Ryan