I have a question about the terminology for "groups" and "qos". It seems likes
"groups" are supposed to refer to OS values (/etc/group) based on reading of
the slurm.conf attributes. However, there is an example online (PDF named
Basic_Configuration_Usage. by R. Schultz) discussing preemption when
"AllowGroups" on a partition is actually referring to a qos that is defined
(see pg 31 in the PDF). On our HPC we are defining a set qos definitions for
our "stakeholders" where we use GrpCPUs and were planning to use AllowQOS on
the parititon.

So,  are groups those that are only found in /etc/group?

Does "GrpCPUs" imply that we need to put people into os groups and use
AllowGroups

Should the example have read AllowQOS or are they interchangeable in this.

TIA

Deborah Crocker, PhD
Systems Engineer III
Office of Information Technology