Hello everybody,

we are in a discussion about using slurm and I have some questions.
If there is a more appropriate mailing list to ask these please let me know.
Also, if this has been asked before I would appreciate any links to the
previous discussion or documentation, I was not able to find any.

We would like to make sharing of nodes between jobs of different users
an option. With our current system (maui/troque) resource usage, i.e.
primarily CPU time, does not appear to be billed "correctly" in this
configuration. For example, if a job requests 4 out of 20 cores on a node
but sets NACCESSPOLICY:SINGLEJOB as option to qsub I have been told it
still is billed only for the 4 cores requested and not for the 20 cores
blocked. The same appears to be true if we set the option directly in
maui.cfg, which is even worse considering the implications. The
situation could probably be mitigated by forcing the user to set
appropriate memory resource requests at job submission time, but still
this usage computation is not what we would consider truly transparent,
especially considering the somewhat lacking documentation of "FSPOLICY
DEDICATEDPES".

Now, after that background I hope my questions make sense in the slurm
context.

If I understand the slurm documentation correctly the usual configuration
in slurm would be to allocate resources (i.e. whole nodes) exclusively
to a single job only. Setting select/cons_res (and subsequent
configuration of consumables) as well as OverSubscribe Yes would in
principle enable a user to decide whether to allow sharing of resources
by setting "--share/-s" or "--exclusive" as options to sbatch.

Is this correct so far ?  How is the resource usage calculated then ?

Assume a job requests only for example 4 out of 20 cores on a node, but
sets "--exclusive" effectively blocking the whole node (e.g. if user does not
want to think about memory). Would the CPU usage of that job then be
computed based on 4 core or the 20 cores it basically prevents from being used
by other users ? We would like to simply track cpus in TRES in this
scenario.

Conversely, if slurm defaults are used and one node is allocated
exclusively to one job then the TRES to use is just "node" ?

Of course also suggestions/pointers how to better achieve this in slurm would
be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance !

Best Regards

Christof

--
Dr. rer. nat. Christof Köhler       email: c.koeh...@bccms.uni-bremen.de
Universitaet Bremen/ BCCMS          phone:  +49-(0)421-218-62334

PGP: http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/c_koehler/