You should look at LLN (least loaded nodes):

https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html

That should do what you want.

-Paul Edmon-

On 03/16/2017 12:54 PM, kesim wrote:
Fwd: Scheduling jobs according to the CPU load

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *kesim* <ketiw...@gmail.com <mailto:ketiw...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM
Subject: Scheduling jobs according to the CPU load
To: slurm-dev@schedmd.com <mailto:slurm-dev@schedmd.com>

Hi all,

I am a new user and I created a small network of 11 nodes 7 CPUs per node out of users desktops.
I configured slurm as:
SelectType=select/cons_res
SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU
When I submit a task with srun -n70 task
It will fill 10 nodes with 7 tasks/node. However, I have no clue what is the algorithm of choosing the nodes. Users run programs on the nodes and some nodes are more busy than others. It seems logical that the scheduler should submit the tasks to the less busy nodes but it is not the case. In the sinfo -N -o '%N %O %C' I can see that the jobs are allocated to the node11 with the load 2.06 leaving the node4 which is totally idling. That somehow make no sense to me.
node1         0.00          7/0/0/7
node2        0.26          7/0/0/7
node3         0.54          7/0/0/7
node4        0.07          0/7/0/7
node5      0.00          7/0/0/7
node6        0.01          7/0/0/7
node7       0.00          7/0/0/7
node8       0.01          7/0/0/7
node9        0.06          7/0/0/7
node10      0.11          7/0/0/7
node11      2.06          7/0/0/7
How can I configure slurm to be able to fill the node with minimum load first?