On 11 April 2017 at 02:36, Raymond Wan <rwan.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For SLURM to work, I understand from web pages such as
> https://slurm.schedmd.com/accounting.html that UIDs need to be shared
> across nodes.  Based on this web page, it seems sharing /etc/passwd
> between nodes appears sufficient.  The word LDAP is mentioned at the
> end of the paragraph as an alternative.
>
> I guess what I would like to know is whether it is acceptable to
> completely avoid LDAP and use the approach mentioned there?  The
> reason I'm asking is that I seem to be having a very nasty time
> setting up LDAP.  It doesn't seem as "easy" as I thought it would be
> [perhaps it was my fault for thinking it would be easy...].
>
> If I can set up a small cluster without LDAP, that would be great.
> But beyond this web page, I am wondering if there are suggestions for
> "best practices".  For example, in practice, do most administrators
> use LDAP?  If so and if it'll pay off in the end, then I can consider
> continuing with setting it up...

We have had success with a FreeIPA installation to manage auth - every node
is enrolled in a domain and each node runs SSSD (the FreeIPA client).

Our auth actually backs onto an Active Directory domain - I don't even have
to manage the users. Which, to be honest, is quite a relief.

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper