On 11/04/17 16:05, Lachlan Musicman wrote:

> Our auth actually backs onto an Active Directory domain

You have my sympathies. That caused us no end of headaches when we tried
that on a cluster I help out on and in the end we gave up and fell back
to running our own LDAP to make things reliable again.

+1 for running your own LDAP.

I would seriously look at a cluster toolkit for running nodes,
especially if it supports making a single image that your compute nodes
then netboot.  That way you know everything is consistent.

Best of luck,
Chris
 Melbourne Bioinformatics - The University of Melbourne
 Email: sam...@unimelb.edu.au Phone: +61 (0)3 903 55545