While on the subject, I have to add my 2 cents. I ran into the same
problem yesterday.

In sbatch man pages I read:

"  -t, --time=<time>
 Set a limit on the total run time of the job allocation.  If the
requested time limit exceeds the partition's time limit, the job will be
left in a PENDING state (possibly indefinitely).  The default  time
limit  is  the partition's default time limit.  When the time limit is
reached, each task in each job step is sent SIGTERM followed by
SIGKILL.  The interval between signals is specified by the Slurm
configuration parameter KillWait.  The OverTimeLimit configuration
parameter may permit the job to run longer than scheduled.  Time
resolution is one minute and  second values are rounded up to the next
minute."

So, even if jobs request longer timelimit than the max time limit of the
queue, they are successfully submitted and then in pending state until
they are killed (due to exceeding time limit). Why aren't the jobs
rejected in the first place and the user notified?

Cheers,

Barbara