Paul, you refer to banking resources. Which leads me to ask are schemes
such as Gold used these days in Slurm?
Gold was a utility where groups could top up with a virtual amount of money
which would be spent as they consume resources.
Altair also wrote a similar system for PBS, which they offered to us when I
was in Formula 1 - it was quite a good system, and at the time
we had a requirement for allocating resources to groups of users.

I guess the sophisticated fairshare mechanisms discussed in this thread
make schemes like Gold obsolete.