Hello,

I would appreciate your advice on how to deal with this situation in Slurm,
please. If I have a set of nodes used by 2 groups, and normally each group
would each have access to half the nodes. So, I could limit each group to have
access to 3 nodes each, for example. I am trying to devise a scheme that allows
each group to make best use of the node always. In other words, each group
could potentially use all the nodes (assuming they all free and the other group
isn't using the nodes at all).

I cannot set hard and soft limits in slurm, and so I'm not sure how to make the
situation flexible. Ideally It would be good for each group to be able to use
their allocation and then take advantage of any idle nodes via a scavenging
mechanism. The other group could then pre-empt the scavenger jobs and claim
their nodes. I'm struggling with this since this seems like a two-way scavenger
situation.

Could anyone please help? I have, by the way, set up partition-based
pre-emption in the cluster. This allows the general public to scavenge nodes
owned by research groups.

Best regards,
David