A follow-up:

The loophole that I refer to in my previous message refers to the documentation
of the "Job Submit Plugin API":

https://slurm.schedmd.com/job_submit_plugins.html

The documentation for `job_submit` claims "[t]his function is called by the
slurmctld daemon with the job submission parameters supplied by the salloc,
sbatch or srun command." My question is this:

Does that mean users can get around it, for example, with the
`slurm_submit_batch_job` API call, referred to in the Slurm API proper?:

https://slurm.schedmd.com/api.html

As the slurmctld code is written now, it seems that all job submission paths
through Slurm get the `job_submit` plugin callback invoked on their behalf,
which is great! However, if this is a promise that the API is making, then the
API documentation needs to be updated. If not, I have to ask why that's the
case.

--

Gary

On 6/29/23, 2:24 PM, "slurm-users on behalf of Jackson, Gary L."
<slurm-users-boun...@lists.schedmd.com
<mailto:slurm-users-boun...@lists.schedmd.com> on behalf of
gary.jack...@jhuapl.edu <mailto:gary.jack...@jhuapl.edu>> wrote:

APL external email warning: Verify sender slurm-users-boun...@lists.schedmd.com
<mailto:slurm-users-boun...@lists.schedmd.com> before clicking links or
attachments

We have a set of idiosyncratic requirements imposed on us:

1. There are on the order of 10^3 different budget codes. Maybe even 10^4 once
this thing gets cooking. That list will change a little bit every day, and may
change a lot at certain times of the year.
2. There are on the order of 10^2 different users.
3. Any user can submit a job to any budget code.
4. A job must be associated with exactly one budget code.
5. Only a very small subset of those budget codes will actually get used, but
they will not be enumerated beforehand.

Is there any way to do this that avoids both:

1. Creating an unmanageable number of associations.
2. Doesn’t have a loophole that permits violation of (4) above, which various
script-based enforcements do.

I’ve considered automatically managing that ridiculously long list of
associations, but that just seems like a bad idea.

--

Gary