Will investigate into it for a little bit more.

Sincerely,

S. Zhang

On 2023/07/24 17:06, Matthias Loose wrote:
On 2023-07-24 09:50, Matthias Loose wrote:

Hi Shunran,

just read your question again. If you dont want users to share the SSD, like at all even if both have requested it you can basically skip the quota part of my awnser.

If you really only want one user per SSD per node you should set the gres variable in the node configuration to 1 just like you did and then implement the prolog/epilog solution (without quotas). If the mounted SSD can only be written to by root no one else can use it and the job that requested it get a folder created by the prolog.

What we also do ist export the folder name in the user/task prolog to the environment so he can easely use it.

Out task prolog:

  #!/bin/bash
#PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

  local_dir="/local"

  SLURM_TMPDIR="${local_dir}/job_${SLURM_JOBID}"

  # check for /local job dir
  if [[ -d ${SLURM_TMPDIR} ]]; then
    # set tempdir env vars
    echo "export SLURM_TMPDIR=${SLURM_TMPDIR}"
    echo "export TMPDIR=${SLURM_TMPDIR}"
    echo "export JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS=\"-Djava.io.tmpdir=${SLURM_TMPDIR}\""
  fi

Kind regards, Matt

Hi Shunran,

we do something very similar. I have nodes with 2 SSDs in a Raid1
mounted on /local. We defined a gres ressource just like you and
called it local. We define the ressource in the gres.conf like this:

  # LOCAL
  NodeName=hpc-node[01-10] Name=local

and add the ressource in counts of GB to the slurm.nodes.conf:

  NodeName=hpc-node01  CPUs=256 RealMemory=... Gres=local:3370

So in this case the node01 has 3370 counts or GB of the gres "local"
available for reservation. Now slurm tracks that resource for you and
users can reserve counts of /local space. But there is still one big
problem, SLURM hast no idea what local is and as u correctly noted,
others can just use it. I solved this the following way:

- /local ist owned by root, so no user can just write to it
- the node prolog creates a folder in /local in this form:
/local/job_<SLURM_JOB_ID> and makes the job owner of it
- the node epilog deletes that folder

This way you have already solved the problem of people/jobs not having
reserved any local using it. But there ist still no enforcement of
limits. For that I use quotas.
My /local is XFS formatted and XFS has a nifty feature called project
quotas, where you can set the quota for a folder.

This is my node prolog script for this purpose:

  #!/bin/bash
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

  local_dir="/local"
  local_job=0

  ## DETERMINE GRES:LOCAL
  # get job gres
  JOB_TRES=$(scontrol show JobID=${SLURM_JOBID} | grep "TresPerNode="
| cut -d '=' -f 2 | tr ',' ' ')

  # parse for local
  for gres in ${JOB_TRES}; do
    key=$(echo ${gres} | cut -d ':' -f 2 | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')
    if [[ ${key} == "local" ]]; then
      local_job=$(echo ${gres} | cut -d ':' -f 3)
      break
    fi
  done

  # make job local-dir if requested
  if [[ ${local_job} -ne 0 ]]; then
    # make local-dir for job
    SLURM_TMPDIR="${local_dir}/job_${SLURM_JOBID}"
    mkdir ${SLURM_TMPDIR}

    # conversion
    local_job=$((local_job * 1024 * 1024))

    # set hard limit to requested size + 5%
    hard_limit=$((local_job * 105 / 100))

    # create project quota and set limits
    xfs_quota -x -c "project -s -p ${SLURM_TMPDIR} ${SLURM_JOBID}" ${local_dir}
    xfs_quota -x -c "limit -p bsoft=${local_job}k bhard=${hard_limit}k
${SLURM_JOBID}" ${local_dir}

    chown ${SLURM_JOB_USER}:0 ${SLURM_TMPDIR}
    chmod 750 ${SLURM_TMPDIR}
  fi

  exit 0

This is my epilog:

  #!/bin/bash
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

  local_dir="/local"
  SLURM_TMPDIR="${local_dir}/job_${SLURM_JOBID}"

  # remove the quota
  xfs_quota -x -c "limit -p bsoft=0m bhard=0m ${SLURM_JOBID}" ${local_dir}

  # remove the folder
  if [[ -d ${SLURM_TMPDIR} ]]; then
    rm -rf --one-file-system ${SLURM_TMPDIR}
  fi

  exit 0

In order to use project quota you would need to activate it by using
this mount flag: pquota in the fstab.
I give the user 5% more than he requested. You just have to make sure
that you configure available space - 5% in the nodes.conf.

This is what we do and it works great.

Kind regards, Matt