Hello,
We have a use case in which we need to launch multiple concurrently running MPI
applications inside a job allocation. Most supercomputing facilities limit the
number of concurrent job steps as they incur an overhead with the global Slurm
scheduler. Some frameworks, such as the Flux framework from LLNL, claim to
mitigate this issue by starting an instance of their own scheduler inside an
allocation, which then acts as the resource manager for the compute nodes in
the allocation.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there is a fundamental reason behind
having a single global scheduler that the srun launch commands must contact to
launch job steps. Perhaps it was overkill to develop a ‘hierarhical’ design in
which Slurm launches a local job daemon for every allocation that manages
resources for that allocation? I would appreciate your insight in understanding
more about Slurm’s core design.

Thanks and regards,
Kshitij Mehta
Oak Ridge National Laboratory