Hi Xaver,

Xaver Stiensmeier via slurm-users <slurm-users@lists.schedmd.com>
writes:

> Dear Slurm users,
>
> in our project we exclude the master from computing before starting
> Slurmctld. We used to exclude the master from computing by simply not
> mentioning it in
> the configuration i.e. just not having:
>
>     PartitionName=SomePartition Nodes=master
>
> or something similar. Apparently, this is not the way to do this as it is now
> a fatal error
>
>  fatal: Unable to determine this slurmd's NodeName
>
> therefore, my question:
>
>  What is the best practice for excluding the master node from work?
>
> I personally primarily see the option to set the node into DOWN, DRAINED or
> RESERVED. Since we use ReturnToService=2, I guess DOWN is not the way to go.
> RESERVED fits with the second part "The node is in an advanced reservation
> and not generally available." and DRAINED "The node is unavailable for use per
> system administrator request." fits completely. So is DRAINED the correct
> setting in such a case?

You just don't configure the head node in any partition.

You are getting the error because you are starting 'slurmd' on the node,
which implies you do want to run jobs there.  Normally you would run only
'slurmctld' and possibly also 'slurmdbd' on your head node.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)
FUB-IT (ex-ZEDAT), Freie Universität Berlin