On 15 January 2017 at 12:20, Matthew Parsons
<matt...@aspergerexperts.com> wrote:
> vmadm UUID/alias clone NewAliasName
> (seems odd it's not built-in.)

The way we presently support this is by first creating an image from
an existing instance, and then creating a new instance from the image.
You can look at the imgadm(1M) manual page for more information,
either on your system, or online:

    https://smartos.org/man/1M/imgadm

(In particular, see "imgadm create".)

> vmadm delete UUID/alias - would prefer it prompt first w/ more info, use -y
> to bypass, something like:
> "Delete (brand) zone UUID, AKA AliasName? Parent image UUID, Parent Image
> Name (y/n)"

If we were going to support something like this, or other features
like the ability to use an alias in place of an instance UUID, it
would have to be off by default.  The "vmadm" command is an interface
about which we make strong promises of stability, as other software
depends on its precise behaviour.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer