> The reason why I haven't got the concerning entry is lines from  #36 to
> #38 of the source (https://github.com/joyent/smartos-live/blob/
> 64998c0b5a7c33287eb7dd118fef4aea42e5a6f3/src/vm/sbin/rotate-
> kvm-logs.sh#L36) --
>
> "
>  if [[ ! -s ${logfile} ]]; then
>         # file doesn't exist or is empty
>         return;
>     fi
> ".
>
> Because all my ${logfile} has size of 0,   rotate_log() returns.
> And the script won't go to lines from #72 to #78(
> https://github.com/joyent/smartos-live/blob/64998c0b5a7c33287eb7dd118fef4a
> ea42e5a6f3/src/vm/sbin/rotate-kvm-logs.sh#L72) --

Hi Fred,

That'll only be true if the KVM VM is never booted. Whenever it is booted,
the file will be non-empty until it is rotated since there are always
messages written to the log when a KVM VM boots.

> Plus, I also notice that there is logadm invocation during "vmadm create"
> in lines from #625 to #641 of source (https://github.com/joyent/
> smartos-live/blob/64998c0b5a7c33287eb7dd118fef4a
> ea42e5a6f3/src/vm/sbin/vmadmd.js#L625) --

You're right. I had forgotten about this code in vmadmd. I had looked only
at vmadm.

I don't see how this changes anything though. Because it's still the
rotate-kvm-logs.sh
that it's calling to do the rotation. The same thing would have happened at
the first cron execution after this if vmadmd didn't do it.

Since it seems that fixing the bug in logadm that causes this problem might
be a while still in coming, I will look into the prospect of adding a
workaround that runs:

logadm -r /zones/<uuid>/root/tmp/vm.log

when deleting a KVM VM, or in the rotate-kvm-logs.sh itself when it sees a
VM no longer exists. I've filed https://smartos.org/bugview/OS-6053 to look
into this.

Thanks,
Josh