So I *think* it's just a - possibly intermittent - disk failure.

I plugged it into another identical (at face value) machine and was briefly
excited to see that this one could actually see the disk. However, zpool
import starts showing the pain

ahci_port_reset port 0 the device hardware has been initialized and the
power-up diagnostics failed
.. WARNING SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command failed.

Ho hum, thanks for the diagnostic tips. Back to plan B.